Small actions that count
We’re committed to reducing food waste and making delicious local products a part of your weekly menu
As a business, it’s important for us to promote ethical choices and convey values that reflect who we are. We take our social and environmental commitments very seriously, and are extremely proud to share some of our best initiatives here.
Our commitment to the environment
of Quebecers estimate that they throw away on average the equivalent of one sixth of a grocery bag.
Protégez-vous Magazine, October 2018
Food waste is an environmental problem that can’t be denied. Every year, 1.3 billion tons of food is lost or wasted around the world. That’s why we’ve put several initiatives in place to make our company as sustainable as possible.
- Our orders are placed based on the boxes purchased.
- Our recipe bags contain portioned ingredients tailored to the number of portions per household, which prevents at-home waste.
- Any other remaining food is distributed to the Food Banks of Quebec, more specifically to Moisson Montréal, and our employees.
Every Cook it meal kit contains at least 50% local products (and often even more)!
Above all, Cook it is a meal kit filled with local products from all corners of Quebec.
- We work with Quebec farmers and guarantee a minimum of 50% local products in every box of food. This number rises to 70% in the summer!
- We’re the only meal kit company to offer recipes recognized by Aliments du Québec au menu, an organization mandated to verify the Quebec origin of agri-food products.
- We source our products from small producers whenever possible.
- Our recipes are inspired by seasonal ingredients.
- We favour short-run purchasing in order to reduce the number of intermediates in our supply chain.
- We protect our oceans by offering fish from sustainable fisheries, recommended by Ocean Wise. Ocean Wise Seafood is a non-profit organization focused on promoting the protection of oceans, lakes and rivers and educating consumers about eco-friendly and responsible solutions related to fishing and aquaculture.
- Cook it is also working on a traceability program to identify ingredients and their provenance on the online versions of its recipe cards.
of all worldwide greenhouse gases come from animal agriculture.
At Cook it, we believe that the simple act of reducing our meat consumption can have a significant impact on the environment. We offer a vegetarian plan as well as many vegetarian ready-to-cook and ready-to eat recipes at a fair price to make this lifestyle more accessible.
- We offer 4 to 6 vegetarian recipes on the menu every week as well as vegetarian ready-to-eat meals.
- We work with vegetarian chefs and we encourage the exploration of alternative proteins such as tofu and seitan.
- We also offer Beyond Meat plant-based products.
We’re always looking for new ways to make our meal kit as eco-friendly as possible.
- Cook it was the first ready-to-cook company to launch a sustainable kit: an insulated bag with reusable and washable containers, delivered by bike in the Montreal area. The kit required all customers to wash their containers after use and return them on their next meal kit delivery. The project was put on hold in 2020 due to COVID-19.
- We launched a new reusable cooler in April 2022, that our clients can simply return to their delivery person when they receive their next order. Cook it is the only meal kit company to offer a responsible alternative to the traditional cardboard box. Every customer who chooses our reusable cooler saves up to one tree per year!
- Our boxes are made of 100% recyclable materials (yes, even the ice packs’ packaging)!
- We favour green marketing and try to reduce our use of paper for promotional purposes as much as possible.
Our social commitments
We believe it’s important to encourage the integration of newcomers into the job market. That’s why we welcome them to our company with open arms.
- Our program allows newcomers to become familiar with the Quebec job market and its requirements while incorporating French into their daily lives.
- We also partner with the Pierre-Dupuy school as well as organisms that help integrate people with limitations into the job market.
We support several causes that are close to our hearts through the Star Donation Program, which allows our customers to donate to one of these five partner causes:
- Anorexia and Bulimia Québec (ANEB)
- Food Banks of Quebec (BAQ)
- Fondation du Centre Jeunesse Montréal
- Fondation Olo
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Society of Quebec (ALS)
It’s a true privilege to be able to work with people from here who inspire us every day, and to actively contribute to the local economy.
- We love putting the spotlight on our producers and chefs as well as all these different Quebec companies to create locally flavoured ready-to-cook and ready-to-eat meals, or to introduce you to local products through our Pantry.
- Our founder, Judith Fetzer, is very involved in the business world and with the next generation of entrepreneurs.