1. SetupThinly slice the onion, the shallot and the apple. Chop the sage. In a bowl, combine the shallot with 2 tbsp. of vinegar, 2 tbsp. of water and 1 tbsp. of sugar. Add a pinch of salt and mix. Let marinate.
2. Toast the nutsIn a skillet over medium-high heat, toast the nuts3-4 minutes. Remove from the skillet and reserve.
3. Make the caramelized oignonIn the same pan over medium-low heat, add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the onions and half of the honey. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes. Towards the end of cooking add the sage and the thyme.
4. Assemble and cook the grilled cheeseAssemble the sandwiches with the caramelized onions, the cheese and half of the apple slices. Children can assemble their sandwich. Heat a pan on medium heat and add 1-2 tbsp. of butter or oil. Cook the sandwiches for 3-4 minutes on each side until the cheese is melted and the bread golden. Cover for 1-2 minutes to help the cheese melt.
5. Make the saladIn a large bowl, combine the resto of the honey, the Dijon mustard and a drizzle of olive oil. Add the arugula, the walnuts, the rest of the apple slices, the parmesan shavings and the marinated shallots. Season to taste.
6. Plate your dishServe the grilled cheese sandwiches with the salad. Bon appétit!