General Tao Cauliflower
breaded and fried cauliflower with bell pepper, green onion, sesame seeds and rice
35 min. | 577 kcal | easy | | Printable version
1. Setup Chop the shallot. Cut the pepper into cubes. Cut the green onion into large pieces. Cut the cauliflower into medium-sized pieces.
2. Cook the rice Bring a pot with 1.5 2P | 2 3P cups of water and half the broth cube to a boil. Pour in the rice, cover and cook over low heat 10-12 minutes.
3. Prepare the cauliflower Put 1 tbsp of flour aside. In a large bowl whisk the flour with 1 2P | 1.5 3P cups of water and the spices. Add salt. Add the cauliflower and toss so that each piece is coated.
4. Fry the cauliflower Fill the bottom of a pan with about 1-2cm of oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook the cauliflower pieces for about 5-7 minutes, turning them until golden brown. Place on a paper towel.
5. Make the sauce Heat a drizzle of oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Cook the shallot 2-3 minutes. Add 1 tbsp of flour, mix and cook for 1 minute. Add the sauce mix, sesame oil, other half of broth cube, 1/4 2P | 1/3 3P cup of water, 2 tbsp of rice or cider vinegar and 3 2P | 4 3P tbsp of sugar. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes until the sauce thickens. Simmer over low heat. Adjust the salt to taste.
6. Plate your dish Drain 3/4 of the oil from the pan. Add the pepper and green onion and cook 2-3 minutes. Add the cauliflower, sesame seeds and sauce, mix and cook for 1-2 minutes. Serve with the rice. Bon appétit!
6gSpice Mix (garlic powder,ginger powder)
70mlSauce Mix (soy sauce,hoisin sauce)
1unitVegetable Broth Cube(s)
7.5gGrilled Sesame Seeds
What you need pan, pots, bowls, whisk, slotted spoon, tongs
% daily value
% daily value