1. SetupPreheat the oven to 425°F. Chop the onion. Cut the pepper into small cubes.
If the coriander and garlic sauce is not desired, you can add the coriander and garlic in the next step, or add it to the sour cream.
2. Cook the beefHeat a drizzle of oil in a pan over medium high heat. Cook the beef3-4 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Add the onion, bell pepper, spices and the tomato paste and cook for 4-5 minutes. Drain a little if needed.
3. Roll the doughRoll the dough with the flour until you have 2 large oval circles (or 4 smaller ones). Place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Add the beef to the bottom half of the dough. Fold the dough back on itself. Wet your fingers and seal the edges. You can use a fork to seal the dough as well. Lightly oil the empanadas.
4. Cook the empanadasCook the empanadas 15-18 minutes in the oven.
5. Make the cilantro garlic sauce (optional)Place the peeled garlic, cilantro and 1/3 cup of oil in a container and use a hand blender to reduce everything to a sauce. Children are often interested in seeing a blender in action, take the opportunity to show them the ingredients that go into the sauce, they will be curious to give it a taste.
6. Plate your dishServe the empanadas with the cilantro garlic sauce, the salsa and the sour cream. Bon appétit!
1unitGreen Bell Pepper(s)
15mlSpice Mix(cumin powder,dried oregano)
What you needpan, rolling pin, sheet pan, hand blender or food processor